Eligibility for the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)
Please see the list of our latest EYPP Strategies:
Early Years Pupil Premium was introduced by government in April 2015 to help early years providers try to close the attainment gap between the most disadvantaged children and their peers. At the end of Reception, 19% fewer children eligible for Free School Meals achieve a “good level of development” (GLD) than children who are not eligible, and this gap has not closed significantly over the last few years (Ofsted, 2015:19). EYPP is intended to make a difference by having extra targeted strategies for the rate of progress these children make, and by ensuring practitioners focus specifically on these children’s progress.
Guidance on the EYPP from the Department for Education (DfE) explains that children aged between 3 and 4 years old who attend state-funded early years provision are eligible for the EYPP if their family receives one of the following:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseeker's allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of state pension credit
- Child tax credit (if the family is not also entitled to working tax credit and has an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working tax credit run-on
- Universal credit
- They have been in local authority care for one day or more in England or Wales
- They have been adopted from care in England or Wales
- They have left care under a special guardianship order or residence order in England or Wales
To attract the EYPP, children must be receiving free early years education but do not have to take up their full entitlement to 570 hours in order to receive the funding.
For further information from the Local Authority please click here
The Nursery is ultimately responsible for identifying eligible children and it is therefore important to us that we find out who is eligible for EYPP funding so that we can inform the local authority and they can provide the appropriate funding. Please contact the School Office if you think that you may be eligible.