A focus on......Clay
In Saplings at Borough Road Nursery School and in Squirrels and Hedgehogs at George Dent Nursery School our children have the opportunity to work with clay, a medium they are instinctively motivated to explore.
They poke it, squeeze it, hit it, pick it up and pound it, and mould it into different shapes.
Working with clay has many benefits for your child: -
- As they notice the changes in the clay, they learn that their actions have consequences which encourages further experimentation.
- They can access the clay at their own level of confidence and development. There is no right or wrong way to use it allowing them to make mistakes.
- Your child’s brain takes shape along with the clay when they are engaged with the immediate tactile and visual feedback it provides.
- It develops creativity allowing your child to express their feelings and ideas.
- It encourages problem solving
- It develops their hand/eye coordination,
- It develops their large and small muscles.
- It encourages your child to engage with others as they share their thoughts and ideas.
- It has a therapeutic quality and can retain their attention for a long time.
- It is sustainable and can be used and reused. It connects your child to a natural resource that humans have been using for thousands of years to make decorative and functional ceramics. It is also one of the oldest building materials.
- It is FUN!